Thursday, February 26, 2009

Barcelona









I am standing inside of the metro waiting for my train to arrive. It is rush hour and there is a furry of people rushing to and fro. I am weighed down by my over sized backpack, a day pack and my purse slung across me. I am relieved to see the train's arrival. The doors open and I shift myself into forward motion like a penguin. Once inside the train I am suddenly jerked back. Someone has been shoved into me. A man with a Dutch accent yells out, "you fucking bastard!" Because of forewarning it doesn't take long for me to know what just happened. The Dutch man became of victim of blind robbery, he was pick-pocketed. The assailants; two youngsters who simultaneously brushed up against him, took whatever was in his pockets and jumped off the metro to their quick escape. Here, robbing tourists has become a sport, especially on the metro. Welcome to Barcelona.

Soon after the metro incident, I met Marie at a busy cafe located on the city's main artery, Las Ramblas. She is originally from Germany, but has a British accent. Weird, cool, interesting? During my time here I will stay with Marie and her flatmate, Annika on their 6th story flat in central Barcelona. Like the previous couch surfing hosts, these ladies have ended up being nothing less than gracious, welcoming and helpful to me. Thank you for all the divine coffee and chocolate! Six days in Barcelona allowed me to do the sights, relax, bar hop and do some aimless wandering. My favorite moments included taking photos and buying fresh fruit & nuts at Boqueria Market, enjoying whisky on the metro then dancing on the beach at Sitges Festival and seeing the spectacular city view after hiking to Tibidabo with Marie. All so memorable :)

Travelling through France and Spain has taught and inspired me beyond measure. Even though I cannot build a life for myself here, I learned from and observed the people who have. I have gained much more respect and understanding of foreigners and immigrants in the EU and across the globe. Through the will and hope of building a better life for themselves, comes with it a lot of hardship.
I am now in London, where conversations come easily, toilet paper is abundant and menus are understood. Ahhh. The UK may not be as colourful, warm and tasty as Tarragona or Bordeaux, but it is a place I can work to build funds for future travel. I am staying with Robyn and a few others at a flat in Greenwich, a nice area outside of the city. Here, I look forward to building my nest.

Adios, I Love you all!

1 comment:

Towely said...

Building your nest???? How long do you plan to stay? OR are you going to live across the pond??

HH