Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valencia and Tarragona








After arriving in Valencia I was exhausted from my overnight sleepless bus ride from Vitoria (Basque Country.) My first hours in Valencia were clouded by fatugue, culture shock and disorientation. Oh the blunders of travel! After some much needed rest I was energized to discover Valencia (see photo of city.) I was impresed with the pristine architecture of La Ciudad de las Artesy de las Ciencias, City of Arts and Sciences (see photo of white structure.) What makes Valencia unforgettable are the gorgeous colour and design of Spanish jewellery, the tasty fresh fruits and vegitables of Mercando Central Market and the melodic hum of the Mediterranean Sea. I am a magnet to the ocean. I don't know if this draw is rooted in all humans, if it is due to the time of year I was born or if it is a result of being raised in Vancouver. I just know that I am happiest when I am alongside the ocean.

Where I am now is Tarragona, a city nestled between Valencia and Barcelona (see photo of landscape and beach.) I am staying at a one star hotel, Hotel Cosmic, in a private room equipped with the basics. I love Tarragona because it is small, historic, coastal. I am keen to capture everything in my photos because I want the tastes, smells, sounds and sights of these moments to come alive whenever I look back at them. Spain overflows with mystery and allure because every nook and cranny of the country is individual, unique and characterisitc. No two things are alike here and that is what makes the land so bold, colourful and easy to fall in love with.

Once I surpassed the initial culture shock, I began to embrace it. The differences between Spaniards and Canadians are vast. A siesta occurs from 2pm to 5pm daily in which everything closes. It is a time for people to be together to eat and rest. Everything is shutdown as well on Sundays because it is a day reserved for family. At first I felt inconvienced by this, but now I look forward to the times where everything (including myself) becomes quiet and peaceful. Work here is valued, but it is not always top priority. Friendship, family and leisure are what a Spaniard's lifestyle seems to be centred around, as should it be.

Falling in love with Spain is easy, leaving it won't be. I took a risk in leaving my Glaswegian life behind to build one here, at least temporarily. It turns out that economy is what will dictate my perdicament. Yes, even in Spain. I learned that without much of a plan or the ability to Speak the mother tongue I will repeatedly encounter dead ends. So my trip here will only be a visit. I have booked a flight from Barcelona to London for February 25th. Eventhough I will be sad to leave Spain, I look forward to creating opportunities for myself in and around London. Once I build the funds, I will travel more of the Mediterranean in the Summer.

Tomorrow it is Barcelona! I will meet with Marie (Germany) when I arrive. She will be another couch surfer experience which I'm sure will be just as positive as my last two. My visit to Barcelona lands on a weekend so she'll have time to hang out. I'm excited to learn about a new city and a new person :)

Yo estoy ahora mismo, I am right now.

Love, Carlee

1 comment:

Towely said...

Spain sounds amazing. I'm sad that you have to leave there soon! I want to hear more.

Had