Sunday, February 15, 2009

France & Spain











I grew complacent and comfortable of living a relatively familiar life in the UK. That came to an abrupt halt when I stepped off of the plane in Paris. I knew I couldn’t really prepare myself for what I’d encounter in the non-English speaking world. I talk as if regions of the world where people aren’t fluent in English may as well be on another planet. In my world, these places can seem that foreign and alien to me. Yes I am chronically lost and confused, but this is what inspires me to learn and grow. This is what makes me feel alive!

J’adore France! I find it unfortunate that I took so little from my High School French classes. After I got over my inhibitions to communicate with others, I got by just fine. I definitely wasn’t inhibited to consume bread, wine, cheese and chocolate along with the French! The people who have welcomed me into their homes through http://www.couchsurfers.com/ have been so welcoming and generous to me. I am forever grateful. I feel lucky to get an intimate look into the daily lives of people from different cultures and lives from my own. It has been such an enriching and unique experience thus far. My first experience with couchsurfers was with Anne-Sophie and her two children whom I stayed with in Paris. I toured the famous sights by day and ate, relaxed and shared stories with Anne-Sophie by night. In the Louvre, the Mona Lisa was anti-climatic for me. The museum displays limitless breathtaking 17th-19th Century French paintings that I hope keep clear in my memory for a long time to come. Unlike Mona Lisa, The Effeil Tower was much more spectacular in person that I would have ever imagined. And at night, what a show! Experiencing Paris was like turning the pages of a story book. Fantastic!

From Paris I travelled via SNCF railway to Bordeaux, a relaxed, charming city in the South West of France. There, I was hosted by 4 young people in a beautiful, bright flat on the fourth floor overlooking the shopping district (Rue St-Catherine.) I did a lot of walking along Garonne River and through the narrow streets flanked with neo-classical style buildings. My highlights in Bordeaux were trying typical French duck with potato and watching “Doute” (Doubt) in a cinema that had been converted from a church. Thank you to Manue x2, Barbara, Javier and Tagoda...for everything.

I continued my journey to Vitoria, Basque Country (Spain.) To me, Spanish sounds like a string of mumbling and noise. I think that only because I don’t understand it, at all. I really want to learn about the lanuage and someday be able to speak it at a conversation level. I will continue to teach myself the basics while I'm here, unless I want to continue playing cherrades with strangers in attempts to communicate. My time in Vitoria was stressful but informative. Here I realized that unless a miracle happens, it would very difficult to find employment in Spain, which was my original plan. Paula expalined to me Spanish culture and I too realized the language barrier is a major hinderance to me. So with that in mind, I will travel from Vitoria to Valencia on an overnight bus tonight, then a few days following travel to Barcelona where I will most likely then fly to London. Once in London, I will look for work and a flat, if not there, then in a neighbouring city. Europe hasn't seen the last of me!!

I love you and think of you at all at home. Travelling here is amazing and eye-opening. However, I still think Canada is the best place on Earth.
Carlee xox

No comments: