Friday, April 03, 2009

The London Fog







I stumble when I attempt to write about my daily happenings since arriving in London. The events worth highlighting have taken place more on an internal level. Living and travelling throughout the UK and Europe has pushed me to live beyond familiarity and conventionalism. My natural tendencies on the way I see the all things are constantly challenged. Stop asking why, and start asking why not! London, where I currently reside, is an urban jungle that orientates and disorientates thought, direction, perspective and influence. It is a metropolis that does not offer answers, but provokes questions and rouses new possibilities and ideas. At times, I feel like a microscopic organism adrift within something much larger than myself. Even though I feel miniscule against such a large backdrop, like all of us, I know I am important to the environment in which I live. I play a large part in transforming, broadening and redefining my surroundings. This relationship is symbiotic in nature because it is my environment that also transforms, broadens and redefines myself.

What exactly are these internal events I’m experiencing? My flatmates and I recently celebrated equinox/solstice that occurs four times a year. It marks a new season and with it new beginnings. We lit candles, drank wine and discussed what we are up to now and where we would like to see ourselves three months from now when the next equinox/solstice occurs. As intimidating as it was speaking to others about dreams and ambitions, it felt good to talk it out. Or was that just the wine? The following day I became consciously aware that during my time in London I’d like to pursue art. Since my mini epiphany, I have been focusing on contemporary art and the link it has to culture as well as human thought, behaviour, emotion, memory and the psyche. When I’m not at work making cappuccinos and falafel wraps, I will continue in my pursuit of all things creative with own projects of painting, writing and photography but also by being an observer to other’s work in visiting the plethora of London galleries, exhibits and talks. Ultimately, I aspire to serve others in my collaboration of art and my knowledge and experience in Psychology. Perhaps documenting this on the world wide web will hold me somewhat more accountable to it. So what will it be, art therapist? Art teacher? Artist? Art consumer? Again, London has not offered me any answers, it only provokes more questions.
Photos: Overlooking Thames River, Big Ben and London Eye / Brighton at sunset / A night at Life Bar listening to Giles Peterson with my dear amigos; Sean, Robyn, Myself and Terra.
Please check out what has been my inspiration:



1 comment:

Towely said...

Carlee!!!!!

I have been waiting for an update from you and that was just fantastic! You even used 'plethora' which is one of my favourite words ever!

Ahhhh all the changes you're going through sound so great, I'm so happy for you. I've been going through some crazy 'internal' changes myself and while it's a little scary sometimes, it's also so liberating.

Keep on keeping on sister and I can't wait to hear more.

Hadley