Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chester, Liverpool, Wales








Here I am in Chester now. I think I like it. I think I'll stay. I captured Chester's vibe in the photo of the city center. Chester offers a bit of everything, but most importantly it has Tamara and Jo, the two ladies I'm staying with. Tamara is Canadian and Jo is from Wales and they've welcomed me to stay with them as long as I'm in Chester. I met Tamara working at Gateway Society (for Autistic youth) about 8 years ago. They both have been soooo hospitable and welcoming. I have met some people while I was in London but it seems a bit more challenging here. Conversations run few and far between other than asking locals for directions or to take picture of me. I feel fortunate to have Tamara, Jo and their cat here because loneliness would have found me by now. Tamara and I are trying out for the local Netball team this evening. It's competitive here. There are 32 girls competing for 12 spots, we'll both be nervous. She grew up on Softball and I on Basketball. I think we'll be solid recruits. Our strategy is to pretend we know what's up, when neither of us have actually played before. What can we lose right?
When I'm not job searching I have visited Liverpool which is on Merseyside River, pictured above. It is a 35 minute train ride from Chester. Liverpool has a more modern feel to it, but also a little rough around the edges. I was intrigued by it's International Museum of Slavery. The Museum exhibits the history of Atlantic Slave Trade and how Europe has benefited.
"They will remember that we were sold, but not that we were strong.
They will remember that we were bought, but not that we were brave."
-William Prescott, former slave
1937
Last weekend Tamara and I went to Wales (pictured with Tamara & the dog and myself in yellow.) Chester is on the boarder of Wales so it was about a 30 minute drive to Hilbre, on the Irish Sea. We took Jake, Jo's pup along. Because the tide was out we walked for hours to a nearby island, rested, ate and walked back. I felt so free and happy to be back to nature, smelling the salt, investigating sea life and walking barefoot through muddy sand.
I will keep you updated on my future happenings
I think of you often and I love you very much.

No comments: