Sunday, August 17, 2008

Connections


Big news! I have booked my flight to England! On August 31st I will celebrate my birthday by flying over the Atlantic Ocean and arriving in London in the AM of Sept 1, 2008. I am spending 3 nights in London's city center then taking a train North to Chester where I will stay with friends for a short while. Of course, leaving Toronto will be bittersweet because in my short time here I have made some amazing connections.

Last week I've had to put my trip planning on hold so I could give my all to coaching some more youth basketball. I feel fortunate to have been apart of G.A.B. (Girls Addicted to Basketball) and coach along side the founder and director, Tanya. She is a visionary and dedicated leader in young women's basketball. Truly an inspiration. I hope to pass on some of the knowledge I gained last week to some of B.C.'s young talent upon my return.

On Friday I partied it up with my roommates at a swank club near our place. Great times indeed! I hope I am lucky enough to find awesome flat mates in the UK. I had a restful Saturday lounging and biking around Toronto Island. It is a 10 minute commute by ferry from Downtown. Although the beaches are man made and the ice cream is $6.00 a piece, the vibe is very relaxed and it offers the best seat for a Toronto sunset. A worthwhile trip overall.

The photo of the Korean ladies are 2 of my ESL students. We prefer meeting in coffee shops because we get the stink eye from library patrons due to outbursts of laughter. Learning is fun, right? Next week I plan to introduce my students to some Canadian Soul by taking them to my favorite live music joint in the city. I anticipate being more entertained by them than the music.

Tomorrow I'm back to the coffee making grind (bad pun.) I begin my shift at 5AM. Ouch. I am not looking forward to giving my manager my 2 weeks notice, after being an employee for only 2 weeks. I'll let you know how that goes down.

That's all for now. I love you.

C

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love that things are coming together for you!!! The world awaits you...