Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bonne Anneé!









Life is full of opportunities for fresh starts, new beginnings and change. It's not as though we've been sitting around waiting for 2010 to end, however I feel fired up that a new year is upon us. There is a surge of renewed energy everywhere and if you keep your eyes open and stay still long enough, you will feel it too. I invite you to join me in the journey on getting excited about life and about where this year will lead. Let's embrace our loved one's more than we already do, take control of what we can and let go of what we can't, also let's get into the habit of being rather than doing. Personally speaking, I'm considered to be a 'type A personality', I'm a doer who is well organized and focused. These traits have worked in my favour and has taken me far, in most cases. However, this past year I've noticed my life manifesting into a perpetual to do list that never actually ends. I'm so focused on getting the next task done that I end up in circles exhausted from chasing my own tail. It's kind of ironic that in being so focused I end up missing out on important things (and people). So, all you doers out there, let's all spend more time to celebrate all that was and all that is :D

Aside from reflecting on 2010 and making resolutions for 2011 I also recently returned to my beautiful home country, Canada! (see photo) I spent five weeks over the holidays in both Vancouver and Toronto visiting my loved ones. In the past two years I've spent big chunks of time away so any time to I get to spend with my people fills my heart completely. They are humble, accepting, loving, inspirational and amazing in their own way. It is sad for me to share that S an I are no longer together. We've spent more time a part than together and that we couldn't withstand a future with more seperation. He's an incredible soul who I wish nothing but the best for x

Currently I'm back in Paris and after partying, overeating holiday treats and enduring jet lag, I'm refreshed and ready to savour up the next six months in France. If you don't know, in Paris I've been working as a freelance English Teacher for children and adults as well as an ABA Therapist (applied behavioural analyst) for children with autism. I hardly consider this work as I've really been enjoying becoming a better teacher/therapist by learning about my students and what motivates them. Also, not having a boss or work politics has been pretty sweet.

Since my return, when I'm not with my students or lesson planning I've been learning French and challenging myself with speaking it more and more. My flatmate (who is French) and I agreed to speak more French in the apartment and I also made a French-only speaking friend. Yes, my head hurts, but its the best way to get past only speaking single words or short phrases. I've also loved exploring Paris' secret neighbourhoods, local entertainment, cafés and the art scene. I recently discovered an amazing neighbourhood lined with original funky boutiques, cafés and small independent art galleries in arrondisment 4. Also my friend, J, and I went to a themed (Germany in the 1920's) life model sketch event that is held monthly. It was in a club with 1920's music and the life models posed on stage for 10 minutes at a time adorned in beautiful costumes, hair and make-up. In between poses the female models would do a dance performance. The spectators were artists alike with their pencils, paintbrushes or charcoal madly drawing up a storm on their pages. (see photo) Check if there is one going on in your city:
http://www.drsketchy.com/.

While I'm here I'm also dedicating myself to practicing art (see photo.)I'm applying to an MA in Art Education/Art Therapy and as a par of the application I need to develop an art portfolio comprised of paintings, drawings, 3D pieces, mix media and photography. I'm excited about the possibility of studying a field that combines my passions of art, education and psychology. Artisicaly speaking, when inspiration drives me to create it's as though time suspends as I give all of myself, my feelings, my attention, my heart to the process. This manifests in whatever it is I end up creating and I will usually discover a lot about myself during and after. I try not to view my own art from an aesthetic perspective, but instead consider my creative process; my feelings, thoughts and motivations behind each line, stroke and colour. Explorng myslf and the world through this lens has been an eye-opening, frightening, exhausting and fun to say the least.


To be continued...

1 comment:

Towely said...

Well said.